12 ways to raise awareness for inherited cancer prevention in the next 12 weeks!
September 1, 2016 – Today is the first day of a three-month period that is very important for all families who have experienced cancer or are facing the risk of inherited cancer. Specifically, September marks the start of major cancer awareness efforts:
- September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month as well as Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.
- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- September 25 through October 1, 2016 is National Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Week.
- September 28th is National Previvor Day, which recognizes people at high risk of cancer because they are born with cancer-causing genes.
- And finally, November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month.
Breast, ovarian, prostate and pancreatic cancer as well as melanoma are exactly those cancers that families with BRCA genes are face and, therefore
September, October and November are the season of awareness for cancers caused by BRCA mutations.
These 12 weeks, from the beginning of September to the end of November, offer 12 special opportunities to find ways to raise awareness about the inherited forms of breast, ovarian, prostate and pancreatic cancer and to SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS the need for increased research funding to prevent these cancers.
To mark this season of awareness – from the beginning of September to the end of November – HeritX is launching a inherited cancer fundraising and awareness campaign to raise awareness of the critical need for inherited cancer prevention research: the “12 Weeks / 12 Ways Campaign.” You can make an incredible difference by picking one way each week (or do all 12 at once!) to spread the word and raise money for hereditary cancer prevention research. We will send reminders highlighting one of the 12 ways at the beginning of each week.
12 Ways for 12 Weeks:
1. TELL us your story: How has BRCA affected you or your family? Tell us why you think prevention is important. Send your stories either in the form of an essay (no more that 500 words with photos if possible) or video (no more than 60 seconds) to Jan@HeritX.org. With your permission, we will share them and add them to our website.
2. FOTE for Prevention: Join our Fotition campaign (coming soon) to show your support for BRCA prevention research and one of our amazing sponsors will make a donation to our research fund for you! Every FOTE will be entered to win one of the Fotition campaign prizes and you will get extra prize entries for sharing your FOTE on Facebook and Twitter. Our first Fotition campaign “Proud to Prevent” will launch around September 7th. And remember to tell your friends to FOTE too!
3. JOIN our Razoo Crowdfunding Campaign: All donations through our Razoo Crowdfunding campaign will be doubled through a generous matching gift. Help us spark the power of the crowd to fund critical research. When we reach our goal of $25,000 plus the $25,000 match, this will fund one year of crucial research in the lab of one of our IC PIC members.
4. LIKE HeritX on Facebook: And tell your friends. Invite the number of friends who correspond to the day of the month to also Like HeritX. For example, on the 12th day of the month invite 12 friends, on the 25th day of the month invite 25 friends.
5. FOLLOW HeritX on Twitter: Tell your friends and tag us in your Tweets, we promise to respond!
6. LEARN about the 5 scientists who are part of the IC PIC (International Coalition to Prevent Inherited Cancer). Our partner scientists at leading international cancer centers are working on groundbreaking and innovative research to find ways to prevent BRCA cancers and stop them BEFORE they start. The next meeting of our IC PIC will happen in September and in coming weeks we will profile the members of our team.
7. JOIN the Prevention Advisory Network: Critical to successful research is the input of the patient community. Want to participate in research by letting our researchers know what is important to you and your family? Join the Prevention Advisory Network to let your voice be heard. Interested in joining? Email Info@HeritX.org and tell us you are interested!
8. DONATE $10 to fund BRCA prevention research (or $100, or $1,000). Right now the vast majority of cancer research dollars go to treatment research, which is important, but will do nothing to prevent our children from developing inherited cancers in the first place.
9. SIGN UP for the HeritX Newsletter: Keep up with the latest research and happenings at HeritX. What have you missed so far? Important articles are also posted in the “News” section of our website. If you missed it, read the article on the HeritX Banbury Conference to Prevent Inherited Cancers. This was the groundbreaking 2015 conference where HeritX launched its Global Initiative to Prevent Inherited BRCA Cancers.
10. POLISH off BRCA Cancer by painting your nails (mani, pedi or both) in HeritX Colors (HeritX pink, HeritX blue, HeritX teal or HeritX gray) or any combination. Share it with us by emailing it to Jan@HeritX.org. Then post it to your Facebook page. We will share it on our Social Media feeds too!
11. SHARE a story about BRCA or inherited cancer during National HBOC Week, which starts September 25, 2016. Tag HeritX in your posts and we will amplify your message.
12. WATCH the HeritX “Who we are” video (on our Home page or our YouTube channel) to learn more about HeritX, our mission and our vision to prevent cancer before it starts. You can also visit our YouTube channel to see more videos with some of the scientists on our team.
These activities will not only raise awareness of inherited cancers and the crucial need for prevention research, they will also bring us together as a community. Together we will all work to prevent inherited cancers!